top of page
  • How do I connect to the internet?
    The eduroam network is how you will connect to the internet here in the college, in your department, and in other universities across the country. For instructions on how to connect to eduroam, see the IT page here.
  • When will my room be cleaned?
    In term time, rooms are currently cleaned every two weeks. A cleaning rota is available on the St Edmund’s intranet.
  • What do I do if I lock myself out of my room?
    Go to Reception and they will issue you a temporary card.
  • Are there non-Eddie's students living at St Edmund’s?
    Yes. In Mount Pleasant Halls in particular, but in other buildings as well, there are students from other colleges. The MPH CR is open to non-Eddie's students living in MPH, but students from other colleges are only allowed in the Norfolk CR if accompanied by an Eddie’s student. The Dining Hall is also available to non-Eddie's students.
  • Where do I do laundry?
    There are two laundry rooms in St Edmund’s, both run by a company called Circuit. You will need to download the app to do laundry. The small laundry room is for students who live in Mount Pleasant Halls, which is by the Mount Pleasant Porter’s Lodge. The main laundry room is for students living in all other buildings. It is located between Richard Laws and the St Edmund's Maisonettes. If you are ever lost, just ask at the Porter’s Lodge!
  • Can I have visitors at the college?
    Yes, but it is required to inform the Porter’s Lodge when you have guests that stay overnight. You can even get a spare air mattress for £5 from them for your guest! Visitors during the day are welcome.
  • What do I do if something is broken in my room?
    For anything from a dead lightbulb to broken blinds to pests, you can file a maintenance request with the college using this form. If you are unhappy with the response you receive, or don't get a response at all, you can contact National codes, a national regulator of student accommodation for further help and advice.
  • Do I need to get a bike?
    A bike is a nifty way to get around in Cambridge - and most students do have bikes. The college has its own secure bike sheds, including a large indoor bike shed in Mount Pleasant Halls for students living in MPH. Please be aware that bike theft in Cambridge is rife in some areas, so you are strongly advised to invest in a good bike lock! There are fairs in Michaelmas term that usually contain stalls of shops that sell bikes, especially the society fair (where you sign up for all the different Cambridge societies).
  • What kind of support is available for me if I have a disability?
    Cambridge University has a lot of support available for students with disabilities, namely, the Disability Resource Centre (DRC). They will be able to help you with exam adjustments, study needs, and more. If you have any extra queries, you can also talk to your tutor directly.
  • What do I do if I feel unwell?
    During Freshers’ Week, the CR arranges with the College Nurse for all students to sign up with the Huntington Road Surgery. In addition, you can also visit any pharmacy for minor problems and advice, and they can even prescribe medicines or refer you to a doctor for some conditions including insect bites, sinusitis, sore throats, and UTIs. In a more urgent situation, or out-of-hours, you can ring 111 for advice, or 999 in an emergency.
  • How do I travel on the train or coach in the UK?
    The easiest way to travel between cities in the UK is by train. If you are aged between 16 and 30, you can get a discount railcard which gives you a reduction of 1/3 on train fares. Book your trains using a booking website or app like LNER, which allows you to book any train in the country without booking fees (don't use trainline, as they often charge an extra booking fee, and getting compensation for a delay can be a nightmare from them!). If you're not travelling through London, LNER will often give you a QR code e-ticket you use on your mobile phone. Long-distance trains are usually much cheaper if you book far in advance. Trains to London can be expensive: to get the cost down you can book a ticket to Liverpool Street station in London rather than Kings Cross. The journey takes slightly longer, but it is often much cheaper. In London you can use your contactless bank card to travel on the Underground, Trains, and Buses. If you have a discount railcard, it's worth getting an oyster card and applying your railcard to it for a discount. The cheapest way to travel is usually by coach. National Express, Flixbus, and Megabus all run services from Cambridge to a range of destinations including London, Birmingham, and even Paris! You can get the coach directly to Stansted or Heathrow Airports, where it drops you directly outside the terminal.
  • Where’s the best place to get groceries?
    Aldi is the cheapest grocery store, which is a ten minute walk from Eddie's. Sainsbury’s is also a ten minute walk directly into the town centre. Luckily, we have a smaller shop very close to Eddie's: Midan Foods. It has all the essentials, and many spices and ingredients that are hard to find anywhere else. It’s also a lifeline for smokers!
  • What student discounts are available in Cambridge?
    Here is a list of discounts available to Cambridge students.
  • Can I visit other colleges?
    As a Cambridge student, you are encouraged to visit as many colleges and departments as possible, and many will welcome you. Some colleges have stricter porters than others, and occasionally will be strict about students entering other college grounds. Most of the time however, it is not a problem. Many colleges will allow Cambridge students to bring in guests for free too, even when charging other tourists.
  • I am a Muslim student. Which direction is the Qibla?
    The direction for the Qibla in England is South-East-East (120 degrees). You can use a compass app on your phone to find the direction. If you would like to pray with other students, please get in touch with the Islamic Society.
  • I am a Catholic student. When is Sunday mass?
    Every Sunday, Catholic mass is held in the college chapel at 10:30am. Once a term, there is an Anglican mass held in the chapel as well.
  • Is it "Eddies" or "Eddie's"?"
    Good question. Common mistake, even among those of us who have been here for a while. But our college's name is St Edmund's, that is St Edmund + apostrophe + s. In other words, the College of St Edmund. So when 'Edmund' gets shortened to 'Eddie', he still needs his apostrophe + s, so we know who the college belongs to.
  • What is a formal dinner?
    A Formal Dinner, or Formal Hall, is a typical Cambridge fixture; all colleges have them. Luckily, at Eddie's we have excellent formals, which means you sometimes will need to book well in advance. The link to book formals is found here. You must wear your gown, be formally dressed, and ready for a night of revelry. Formal dinners happen every Tuesday and Friday, beginning with a drinks reception in the Garden Room, and moving to Hall for the meal. Afterwards, we congregate in the CR for drinks and conversation.
  • What is a BOP?
    Although it refers to a student-organised party, like many things in Cambridge, no one truly knows its mysterious origins. Many say it means “Big Open Party” (although sometimes they close because they reach their max). Perhaps it means “Big Ol’ Party”. Others say “Big Organised Party”. Once or twice a term, most colleges throw a BOP where the Combination Room becomes a disco for a night and students have a lot of fun.
  • How do I get into the gym?
    Fill out the Gym Awareness form to get access to the gym. The gym is in the Luizo (Library) building, bottom floor.
  • How do I gain access to the Music Room?
    A wide variety of musical instruments are available in the Music Room, in addition to the pianos available in the CR and Garden Room. To gain access to the Music Room, fill out the form on the college website and submit it to the Facilities Manager. Then you can book a slot to practice in the room.
  • How do I book a meeting room in the college?
    You can book the meeting rooms in the Norfolk building, MPH, or the Luizo building by asking at the porter's lodge. They are perfect for group meetings, supervisions, or as a quiet space to give an interview!
  • How can I do a BBQ at Eddie's ?
    You must reserve the BBQ via the online portal.
  • People aren't coming to get their laundry. What do I do?
    The CR has instituted a system with whiteboards in both laundries to address this problem. Please write your crsid in the box for the machine you are using. When you are done, then erase it. If someone isn't coming to get their laundry after it is done, send them an email and wait 15 minutes. If they do not come in 15 minutes or there is no crsid written down, you have the right to take their laundry out and put it in a basket.
  • When will the bar be open? (asking for a friend)
    Unlike many college bars, the Eddie’s Bar is student-run. All bartenders are volunteers. Depending on their studies and other obligations, they will try to open the bar most nights. There will usually be a post on the Facebook group when a bartender opens it up. The bar is legally allowed to open 7 days a week, 7:30pm to 11:30pm (Sunday to Thursday) and 7:30pm to 12:30am (Friday and Saturday). However, the Bar may not be open for all of these hours, depending on the availability of our volunteer bar staff.
  • Who are the key contacts in college?
    Note the email addresses for tutorial, accommodation, and reception on this list of key college contacts. As an undergraduate, your Director of Studies is your key port of call for academic issues. Every student is assigned a Tutor, who is available for non-academic issues. The Dean can additionally provide pastoral support and a listening ear.
  • How can I get a free flu vaccination from the college?
    Diseases spread quickly at university. Some people are able to get a free flu vaccine paid for by the NHS. However, the college will happily pay for the flu vaccine of any student (2023-2024 academic year). Just book an appointment at any pharmacy and keep the receipt. Put it in an envelope addressed to the tutorial office with a note about how you would like reimbursement for your flu vaccine and it will be subtracted from your next college bill.
  • What is the difference between college and university sports?
    College sports teams are more informal than the university, requiring less training. College sports are a great opportunity to get to know your fellow students and have fun. Also, college teams compete against other Cambridge colleges in ‘cuppers’, whereas the university team competes with other universities.
  • I am having a conflict with another student. What can I do?
    If talking with the other person is impossible or has not worked out, please speak with your Tutor or the college welfare staff. In cases of sexual misconduct, harassment, bullying, or other serious offenses, you can file an official complaint against the other student.
bottom of page